Our team at Shining Smiles LLC in Bolingbrook, Illinois, is pleased to offer braces for those whose teeth are not aligned, or whose bite needs adjusting. Some patients use braces to fix cosmetic issues with their pearly whites, others benefit from the medical fixes. Conditions which might preclude orthodontic care can include the following:
1. You lose your baby teeth too early in life, and your adult teeth took a while before coming in, resulting in adult teeth that are crooked or sideways.
2. Your teeth are crowded or crooked (malocclusions). Do your teeth sit sideways? Do they overlap each other? This makes your teeth difficult to clean and floss, which makes them more susceptible to tooth decay and gum disease, and persistent bad breath.
3. Your teeth are spaced too far apart. If your teeth are too small or there are big gaps in between your pearly whites, this can cause problems with your jaw and bite function.
4. Your jaw shifts and makes noise during movement (jaw misalignment, disorders of the jaw joints), and improper chewing can cause stomach problems and jaw soreness.
5. You are constantly biting the insides of your cheeks, are always hitting the roof of your mouth, or have a hard time chewing your food –these are indications of bite issues, whether overbite or underbite. A misaligned bite pattern can damage the gum tissue and cause muscle strain resulting in headaches.
While many orthodontic problems can be genetic, others may arise over time as a result of poor nutrition, trauma, dental decay, breathing through the mouth due to an airway disorder, and thumb or finger sucking. Also there just might not be enough room in the jaws for your pearly whites.
At Shining Smiles LLC, Drs. Jacoby, Rivera, Waheed, and Kim are pleased to offer braces for our patients in Bolingbrook, Illinois, and the neighboring communities. If you would like more information, or to schedule a visit, please call our team at a location nearest you today!