First Aid for a Toothache or Abscess
1. Clean the infected by gently flossing, brushing, and rinsing.
2. Rinse vigorously with warm salt water to remove any trapped food particles.
3. Apply a cold compress to relieve pain and control swelling.
4. Take anti-inflammatory pain reliever. Tooth pain is caused by inflammation so this should help. Do not place aspirin on your gums. It won’t relieve your pain and only cause a chemical burn.
5. Call an emergency dentist. Toothache is a bad sign and means that you have a condition that needs to be taken care of by a dentist.
Shining Smiles dental emergencies specialists are highly skilled with any emergency case. We are open 7 days a week and can accommodate you with same day appointments. If you have a dental emergency, call us immediately. Please read our post for knocked out tooth and chipped tooth.