Have you been experiencing pain in a tooth? Unfortunately, tooth pain can be a sign of cavities, which are caused when decay in the tooth penetrates tooth enamel. Unless you are keeping up with six-month dental checkups where your dentist checks for tooth decay, you may not even be aware that a cavity is harming your smile until reaches the dentin below the enamel. The dentin houses tiny nerve endings, alerting you with tooth pain or sensitivity.
Your six-month dental checkups spot cavities before they penetrate tooth enamel. At Shining Smiles LLC, our dentist, Dr. Milad , carefully check for decay during your dental checkup. This is helpful because treating cavities when they are small is less invasive (and less expensive) than when the decay spreads, necessitating larger fillings, root canal therapy or even extraction if the tooth is too damaged.
How do you know that a tooth has a cavity? You might have a cavity if you discover the following:
- You can feel a sharp or throbbing pain in a tooth.
- You can feel pain when you chew food or bite down.
- You can feel sensitivity or pain breathing in cold air through the mouth.
- You can feel pain or are sensitive to hot or cold foods and beverages.
- You can feel tooth sensitivity when you eat sweet, sour, or sticky foods.
- You notice that a tooth has lost a filling.
- Your tooth fractures or chips.
- You can see a dark spot on a tooth when you brush or floss your teeth.
To treat a cavity, Dr. Milad will remove all decay and fill the hole with a material to seal it. Cracks and fractures in the tooth will be also be filled, including small holes.
You can stop a cavity in its track by keeping your six-month dental checkup with our Shining Smiles LLC team in Bolingbrook, Franklin Park, Joliet, Naperville, Plainfield, Riverside, and Wheaton, Illinois. Please call us at 630-972-4010 today if you have any concerns or want to schedule an appointment.